About Clymene Enterprises
Clymene Enterprises is a scientific research, conservation, and environmental consulting firm located in San Diego, California. It was founded in 1995 by Dr. Thomas A. Jefferson (download curriculum vitae). It is a sole proprietorship, providing services related to the field of marine mammal biology, conservation, and management.
Dr. Jefferson has been studying marine mammals since 1983, when he was an undergraduate student. His main interests are the development of marine mammal identification aids, and the systematics and population ecology of the more poorly-known species of dolphins and porpoises. Essentially all of his work has been related to conservation and management of marine mammals threatened by human activities. His current primary research focuses on the conservation biology humpback dolphin (Sousa spp.) and finless porpoise (Neophocaena spp.) populations. In addition, he is involved in many other projects, including those on the conservation of the critically-endangered vaquita (Phocoena sinus). In 2015, with co-authors Marc Webber and Robert Pitman, he published a comprehensive identification guide to the marine mammals of the world (view book on Elselvier store). He has authored over 190 books and papers on marine mammals, and recently published a study revising the taxonomy of the humpback dolphins and describing a new species (Sousa sahulensis Jefferson & Rosenbaum, 2014 - the Australian humpback dolphin).
Clymene Enterprises can be broadly classified into the Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services sector. It makes available the knowledge and expertise of Dr. Jefferson, usually on a contractual basis, for projects relating to his skills, experience, and interest. Such projects include (but are not limited to):
• Population biology research on marine mammals
• Taxonomic studies on cetaceans
• Endangered species recovery
• Development of marine mammal identification aids
• Species identification for marine mammals in challenging situations
• Environmental Impact Assessments relating to marine mammals
• Development of mitigation measures for marine mammals
• Management-related monitoring of marine mammal populations
• Bibliographic services and marine mammal library development
• Workshop development and coordination
• Public lectures on marine mammals
Download curriculum vitae for Dr. Thomas Jefferson (PDF file)